Almaden - Collection C. Kleiss
At Gandía, berthed in second place by the left. The first, berthed by her bow, was the German Lucy Essberger. By her stern there were several motor-sailing vessels, typical in the trade Peninsula-Balearic Islands.
        She was built at Cadiz by Echevarrieta y Larrinaga on 1946. She was very similar to the Elcano Serie A, although she was ordered directly by Cofruna and was built before the series, followed by her sister ship Almazan built on 1947. This shipping company also ordered two similar ships: Alcazar and Alcala, built on 1947 at Sestao by the Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval.
        On 1969 she was acquired by Nicomedes García in public auction due to the Cofruna bankruptcy, passing to Gabarras de Cabotaje, S.A. and converted in barge on 1970, along with her sister Almazan, for the transport of bulk cargo along the North of Spain. She was scrapped on an indeterminate date.
        Otros two ships of the Serie A, Villablanca and Villamartin, built by the Sociedad Española de Construcción Naval at Matagorda, were bought by Cofruna and renamed Almenara and Alcacer respectively. The Almenara was also acquired in public auction on 1969 by Nicomedes García and converted into a barge. The Alcacer was acquired in 1969 also in public auction, in this case by Naviera Asón being rename Alfonso.
Shipyard/Year Echevarrieta y Larrinaga / 1946
Dead Weight 2,860 MT
Gross Register 2,525 GRT
Length 89.1 mtr
Breadth 13.2 mtr
Depth 7.6 mtr
Propulsion Alt. quadruple exp. Lenz
Power 1,800 H.P.
Boilers Lamont Mercier
Sold 1969 to
Owner Nicomedes García

Almaden - Collection C. Kleiss
At Cartagena, on the lower center area. On the right, by her stern, was the Swedish Magne.



  Spanish version 



Back to Alfonso XIII  Back to Index  Go to Almenara

AM © 2017